This post contains affiliate links, which means we'll receive a commission if you purchase through our links, at no extra cost to you. Read the Disclosure here.
Promoted: This Post is sponsored by Houzz.com Please check the disclosure here.
How to make your house smell good
15 Easy ways to make bedroom smell good
Your bedroom should be your sanctuary, the place where you can relax and recharge after a long day of work or school, but it’s also the place where you probably spend a lot of time sleeping or laying in bed, so it’s important to make sure it smells good.
Luckily, many experts agree that natural scents like citrus and floral fragrances have relaxing properties, so there are plenty of ways to make your bedroom smell good while keeping things simple. Here are ten easy ways to do just that!
No matter how much you love your bed, most people will agree that there’s nothing worse than getting into a room that smells bad.
Luckily, there are many ways to make sure your bedroom smells as good as can be!
Here are 10 ways to make your bedroom smell better than ever before!
How to Keep bedroom smelling FRESH!
1) Aromatherapy essentials:
Using essential oils to create a relaxing and refreshing scent in your bedroom. Essential oils are great for cleaning, but they’re also useful for setting a mood.
Choose scents like lavender, lemongrass or orange—they smell great and will help you relax.
You can either diffuse them in a room or use a candle or scent diffuser.
Add Floral Decor: Plants are well-known for purifying air (just ask anyone who has an aquarium at home), so it makes sense that adding plants to your room will help freshen things up as well.
Melisa of Houzz.com says , Try placing plants on nightstands, windowsills or anywhere else where you have some extra space. Light Scented Candles: Candles aren’t just for special occasions; you can enjoy them every day.
The aromas /scents that are on trend:
2) Use Scented Candles
Simply light a scented candle in your room before you go to bed and enjoy a more relaxing environment.
Make sure you blow out all candles and put them away before going to sleep! Candles can pose a fire hazard if left unattended.
Also, be sure that there are no flammable objects near any open flames. You may want use one or two scented candles so that the smell doesn’t linger too long after you blow them out.
[lasso ref=”lilac-blossom-odor-eliminating-highly-fragranced-candle-eliminates-95-of-pet-smoke-food-and-other-smells-quickly-up-to-80-hour-burn-time-12-ounce-premium-soy-blend” id=”132121″ link_id=”194927″][lasso ref=”white-sage-sea-salt-candle-sage-candles-for-cleansing-house-candles-for-home-scented-sage-candle-scented-candles-for-men-women-energy-cleansing-candle-relaxing-aromatherapy-scented-candle” id=”132124″ link_id=”194928″]
3) Light an Incense Stick
A little bit of incense can do wonders for your bedroom.
First, it’s a great way to relax, especially after a stressful day.
Second, there are many different scents that can help you wind down at night.
Third—and perhaps most importantly—incense creates an aroma in your room that no one else will smell but you!
If you have roommates or if someone sleeps with you, don’t worry; they won’t be bothered by any smells once they get used to them.
Incense burns slowly so it also doesn’t cause frequent headaches like candles can.
[lasso ref=”amarna-polished-marble-incense-sticks-holder-modern-incense-burner-for-incense-home-fragrance-products-meditation-zen-decor-desk-decor-marble-paperweight-black-gray” id=”132157″ link_id=”194929″][lasso ref=”mini-palette-mini-diffuser-the-scent-of-summer-3-4-oz100ml-1packgediffuser-bottle-diffuser-oil-woodball-bergamot-jasmin-clean-musk-home-car-room-perfume-fragrance-and-gifts” id=”132156″ link_id=”194930″]
4) Light a Wick Candle
Candles can be a great way to provide a pleasing aroma in any room.
However, you need to make sure that they are lit and burning properly.
Wick candles are best because they produce no soot or smoke, and only release their scent when they’re lit.
Additionally, don’t burn more than one candle at a time in order to reduce risk of fire.
Finally, never leave candles unattended; it’s much safer to turn them off before leaving a room than deal with possible damage if it were left burning overnight.
[lasso ref=”esna-home-aromatherapy-soy-candle-19-4oz-110h-long-burn-xl-lemongrass-natural-sented-3-w-candle-smooth-leather-tabaco-leaf-scent-550g-natural-soy-wax-exclusive-metal-lid-gift-for-home” id=”132129″ link_id=”194931″][lasso ref=”spirit-animal-wax-buddha-candle-35-50-hour-burning-time-double-wicked-all-natural-coconut-soy-candles-luxury-scented-candles-for-the-home-10-2-ounces-grapefruit-vanilla-and-coconut” id=”132131″ link_id=”194932″]
5) Dab on a Little Body Spray
If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to add some fragrance to your bedroom, try spritzing a little body spray.
The smell will be light and refreshing, without being overwhelming.
Body sprays aren’t meant to last all day, so after a few hours it’ll start fading into your skin—which can actually make you smell better than before! (And even if it wears off, that’s okay:
Think of it as an opportunity for someone else in your house – preferably one of your roommates or partner -to take over.)
6) Burning Cedarwood or Pine Wood Chips
Burning wood has a pleasant smell and makes for a great way to neutralize any foul odors that are lingering in your home.
You can easily burn wood by purchasing wood chips or shavings and then placing them into an incense burner.
The scent of burning wood also has a natural, calming effect on people—something you’ll notice when you step into a room with an open fire.
What’s more, it can help de-stress after a long day at work! Of course, most of us don’t want our whole house smelling like we just finished grilling some burgers on the back deck—which is why leaving an incense burner going all day isn’t really practical.
[lasso ref=”wahdawn-aromatic-cedar-hangers-blocks-for-clothes-storage-fresh-scent-cedarwood-hangups-planks-closets-organizers-deodorant-12-packs” id=”132149″ link_id=”194933″][lasso ref=”cedar-alpha-10-pk-12-eastern-aromatic-red-cedar-liners-cedar-blocks-for-closet-storage-cedar-planks-frangance-aroma” id=”132151″ link_id=”194934″]
7) Light Fresh Flowers in a Vase –
Fresh flowers: Adding a touch of nature and fragrance to your sleeping space.
It’s important to start with a fresh, clean scent. While you might have inherited Grandma’s floral perfume or even an entire collection of essential oils, these scents can overwhelm your senses and create stress.
Nothing beats fresh flowers for adding a touch of nature and fragrance to your bedroom. Here are some ideas for using flowers in your bedroom decor:
- Choose flowers that last: Some flowers, such as orchids and carnations, last longer than others. To get the most out of your arrangement, choose blooms that will last for several days.
- Consider scent: Certain flowers, such as lavender and jasmine, have a calming effect and can aid in the promotion of restful sleep. Choose fragrant blooms to add to the ambience of your bedroom.
- Keep it simple: In a bedroom, a single stem or small bouquet can make a big statement. You don’t have to go overboard with a large arrangement.
- The last thing you want is another reason for you or your partner to feel anxious as you prepare for bed. Instead, set out a pretty vase of fresh flowers. Lavender, roses and chrysanthemums are some of our favorites!
- Take a look at your vase: The vase you select can enhance the overall appearance and feel of your bedroom. Choose a vase that matches your decor and the flowers you’ve chosen.
- Change it up: Don’t be afraid to swap out your flowers and vase for a new look every now and then. It’s a simple way to freshen up your bedroom decor and keep things interesting.
- You can add natural beauty and fragrance to your sleeping space by incorporating fresh flowers into your bedroom decor. Furthermore, caring for your flowers can be a relaxing and meditative experience.
[lasso ref=”leicofay-ceramic-hollow-donut-vase-set-of-2-off-white-vases-for-decor-nordic-minimalism-style-decor-for-wedding-dinner-table-party-living-room-office-bedroom-l9w8-bottle-mouth-1-i” id=”132136″ link_id=”194935″][lasso ref=”ceramic-vase-set-of-3-flower-vases-for-home-decor%ef%bc%8cmodern-white-vase-for-centerpieces-ideal-shelf-decor-table-living-room-home-decor-white” id=”132137″ link_id=”194936″]
8) Place Fresh Rosemary Sprigs on Your Pillow
Placing fresh rosemary sprigs on your pillow can help freshen up the air, giving you a more restful night’s sleep.
Rosemary is known for its antioxidant properties, making it an ideal choice to burn in a potpourri or just place some fresh sprigs near your bed.
Many people use candles or potpourri as part of their nighttime ritual before going to bed—if that’s something you enjoy doing as well, consider adding some fresh rosemary for its aromatic qualities.
With so many scents available today, it’s easy to add aromatherapy aspects into any aspect of your life; keep in mind that each scent is often associated with a different emotional response.
9. DIY air fresheners:
MAKE your own air fresheners with natural ingredients to create a personalized and long-lasting scent in your bedroom
Here are some ideas for making your own DIY air fresheners with natural ingredients:
- Lavender sachets: Fill small muslin bags with dried lavender buds and place them in your bedroom drawers or hang them in your closet. Not only will they add a pleasant scent to your clothes, but they also have a calming effect on the mind and body.
- Potpourri: Combine dried flowers, herbs, and spices in a bowl or sachet for a fragrant and decorative touch to your bedroom. Customize your blend to your liking with ingredients such as rose petals, cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
- Citrus spray: Combine equal parts water and fresh-squeezed citrus juice (such as lemon or orange) in a spray bottle. Shake well before use and spray around your bedroom for a fresh and invigorating scent.
- Baking soda and essential oil jar: Fill a small jar with baking soda and a few drops of essential oil. Poke holes in the lid and place the jar in your bedroom for a natural and effective air freshener.
- Essential oil diffuser: Fill a diffuser with water and a few drops of your favorite essential oil, such as lavender or eucalyptus, for a long-lasting and personalized scent in your bedroom.
With these DIY air freshener ideas, you can create a personalized and natural scent in your bedroom without relying on artificial fragrances or harmful chemicals.
10. Boil Lemon( Citrus) & Clove Sticks in Water
Although citrus scents are common in household cleaners, they don’t necessarily make a room smell inviting.
Instead, boil some lemon and clove sticks in water on your stovetop to create a room that smells light and inviting.
You can also buy ready-made oil diffusers online or at stores like Whole Foods if you don’t have time for boiling water.
If you prefer fresher scents, try herbs like rosemary and lavender; avoid spicy smells like peppermint as they might keep people awake.
If you have pets or smoke indoors, use a spray called Febreze; these products neutralize odors without creating their own scent.
11.Set up an Air Purifier
A purifier, if set up correctly, can be very helpful in removing allergens and improving air quality.
Most use a HEPA filter that can trap small particles such as pet dander and mold spores that may cause allergic reactions.
While it’s important to have adequate ventilation when using an air purifier, these machines can help provide relief for those with allergies or respiratory problems.
By setting up an air purifier in their room, teenagers will be able to breathe easier and get better sleep without leaving their room—perfect if they’re trying to avoid foot traffic at night or sudden disruptions from siblings!
12. Air purifying plants: Choosing plants that not only freshen up your room, but also purify the air
Here are some plants that will purify the air in your bedroom:
- Snake plant: A hardy and easy-to-care-for option for your bedroom, the snake plant is known for its ability to absorb toxins such as formaldehyde and benzene from the air.
- The peace lily is known for its air-purifying properties, which filter out harmful pollutants such as trichloroethylene and ammonia.
- Aloe vera: Known for its medicinal properties, aloe vera can also remove harmful pollutants from the air, making it an excellent addition to your bedroom.
- English ivy: Not only does this low-maintenance plant add a touch of green to your bedroom decor, but it also helps to purify the air by removing toxins like formaldehyde and benzene.
- Spider plant: Not only is the spider plant easy to care for and a good choice for beginners, but it also removes harmful toxins from the air, such as benzene, formaldehyde, and carbon monoxide.
Adding one or more of these air-purifying plants to your bedroom will not only improve the air quality, but will also add a natural and calming touch to your sleeping environment.
13.Linen refresh: Choosing the right fabrics and detergents to keep your bedding smelling fresh
Making sure your bedding smells fresh and clean is one of the best ways to make your bedroom smell good. Here are some ideas for revitalising your linens:
- Choose the right fabrics: Some fabrics, such as cotton and linen, are more breathable and less likely to trap odors than others. Opt for high-quality, natural fabrics to keep your bedding smelling fresh.
- Wash regularly: Regularly washing your bedding can help prevent odors from building up. Aim to wash your sheets and pillowcases at least once a week.
- Use the right detergent: Choose a laundry detergent that is free of harsh chemicals and fragrances that can irritate the skin and leave behind a strong scent. Opt for a gentle, fragrance-free detergent that is formulated for sensitive skin.
- Add a scent boost: If you want to add a subtle fragrance to your linens, consider adding a natural scent boost to your wash cycle. You can use essential oils, such as lavender or eucalyptus, or add a half-cup of white vinegar to your rinse cycle to help remove any lingering odors.
You can keep your linens smelling fresh and clean by using the right fabrics and detergents and washing them on a regular basis. This will not only help your bedroom smell nice, but it will also contribute to a more restful and comfortable sleeping environment.
14.Cleaning hacks: Keeping your bedroom clean and odor-free
A tidy bedroom not only looks nice, but it also smells nice. Here are some cleaning hacks to keep your bedroom odor-free and clean:
- Vacuum on a regular basis to remove dust, dirt, and pet hair from carpets and rugs. Vacuuming on a regular basis helps to keep allergens and odours at bay.
- Clean your mattress: Dust mites, dead skin cells, and other allergens that cause odours can be found in mattresses. Use a mattress protector and clean your bedding on a regular basis. To help remove odours, sprinkle baking soda on the mattress, let it sit for 30 minutes, and then vacuum it up.
- Wipe down surfaces with a microfiber cloth or a duster, including nightstands, dressers, and bookshelves. This aids in the removal of dust and the prevention of its accumulation.
- Ventilation is essential for reducing indoor air pollutants and improving air quality. Open the windows to let in fresh air and circulate stale air from your bedroom.
- Natural cleaning products should be used because harsh chemicals can irritate the skin and leave a strong odour. Instead, clean your bedroom with natural cleaning products such as vinegar, baking soda, and essential oils.
You can keep your bedroom clean and odor-free by using these cleaning hacks. This will not only help your bedroom smell nice, but it will also contribute to a healthier and more comfortable sleeping environment.
Opening windows and allowing fresh air in will naturally refresh and invigorate your bedroom with a clean scent.
Yes, that’s right! Opening windows and allowing fresh air into your bedroom is a simple yet effective way to refresh and invigorate it with a clean scent.
This is especially important if you’ve been using scented products in your bedroom, as it can help to clear the air and eliminate any overpowering scents.
Fresh air can help regulate temperature and humidity levels in your bedroom, which helps to improve indoor air quality and promote better sleep. So, whenever possible, open your windows and let in some fresh air!
[lasso ref=”puroair-hepa-14-air-purifier-for-home-large-room-covers-1115-sq-ft-air-purifier-for-allergies-and-pets-automated-air-quality-sensor-captures-99-99-of-pet-dander-smoke-pollen-allergens-dus” id=”132142″ link_id=”194937″][lasso ref=”oransi-air-purifiers-for-bedroom-home-400-sq-ft-room-coverage-portable-hepa-filter-removes-99-cleans-air-of-allergies-dust-pollen-mold-pet-dander-odors-10-year-warranty-ov200″ id=”132143″ link_id=”194938″]